.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Justin's Beach House

A bit of cyberspace dedicated to keeping concerned folks updated on the antics of two kooky kids, their pug and a new puppy! Stay tuned....

Sunday, July 10, 2005

All Right, Where Were We?

Justin: So first off, thank you so much to everyone who has helped us in the past several weeks. Especially our parents. Without you all things would still be in quite the disarray.

So, where to start:

June 23rd a couple of guys I work with, Grover and Greg, helped me get most of Stacey's apt. packed and moved after work. At least that was out of the way. Stacey did really well not telling us how to handle her belongings and then she bought us pizza! Sweet! She rocks!
The 24th my father came into town with his truck and Stacey helped us finish packing up the Palm Ave. house. I think it was 11 or so by the time we got it all boxed up.

Grover showed up with his van and trailer about 7AM or so and we got the party rolling. Unfortunately, again, I was too busy and focused on getting things moved to take pictures of the guys... Sorry Grover and Greg. I know you're heartbroken. But we got most of the big items in both vehicles and the first haul. My Bostonian bud Phil (Phil! They said it wasn't Phil, but I said it was Phil!) showed up about 9 or so and we started on the boxes.
Geez. You know, I don't have a lot of stuff. Oh sure. I have more things now then I used to, but its still not a lot and MAN, I wanted to just sell it all right there in the yard. Someone could have walked by with $200 bucks and they'd have gotten the deal of a lifetime.
Anyway, by the end of the afternoon we had it almost all moved. Well, we did actually - only the small stuff and single items were left. Stacey was working on a couple of projects with the realty compnay she works for so she missed quite a bit of the excitement, but I made sure to leave her plenty of not so brightly wrapped boxes for her to open and then put away.
And I already told you about Sunday - my dad's birthday. Poor guy. But he knew what he was getting into.
Let's see... the rest of the week was uneventful house wise. It was all work related stress as Stacey was covered up and I was absolutely slammed. I was able to get some things doen, though. Mosty small things like door stops, a message center and key hooks by the door, a couple boxes put away, and some temp shelving in the bathrrom to get Stacey's portable CVS store off the floor before her parents showed up on Friday.
Ed and Sue rolled into town later Friday night and we had a bite to eat, talked a little then hit the sack. Saturday we got up and started on the house a little but didn't get much done as we left for Knoxville in the early afternoon. We ate at Applebee's down from the hotel after sneaking Oscar into the room and then went to Wal-Mart.
HA.
You know, that Wal-Mart started out as a very small store some 10 years ago. Since then it has gone thru 2 major renovations, both of which where the store decided to remain open throught the construction. Now its a Super Center Monster. And of course, true to Wal-Mart code, only 2 registers were open on the Saturday of Fourth of July weekend.
So Stacey and I dropped her parents off at the hotel and she and I scooted over to Paul and D's for a couple hours. We had a nice visit but had to go as it wsa going on midnight.
Sunday morning came awfully early and my parent's house all the racket. My sister was in with her fiancee and my nephew and not much later Paul and D and my god-nieces Hannah and Mckenzie showed up to visit. About 12 or so Stacey and her parents showed up aso the house was very full. It was a good time. Ed and Sue got along well with my parents and the girls got to play with Hayden, whom Hannah has dubbed her little brother. After Paul and the girls left to go to his mom's house for fireworks, my mom and I made dinner. Grilled salmon and kabobs (beef & chicken), served with grilled asparagus, sweet potatoes and corn. No one got sick so it must not have been too bad. Ed and Sue had never had baked sweet potatoes. Kara and Josh left a bit later with a sleepy Hayden in tow.
What else...
Monday we all met (sans Kara) at IHOP for breakfast. Boy, I couldn't tell you the last time I ate at one of those... But it was good and we had nice conversations. Not the "I'm being nice" type, but actual good conversations. About 2 we left for Charlotte. Ed and I got to work running wire and conduit for the outside electric box and security lights on Tuesday and I lopped out quite a bit of the holly tree in the back. Then it was off to ZAPATA'S in University for great maxican cuisine. Wednesday I had to work and Stacey took them around on small site seeing excursions. Thursday Ed installed the ceiling fan in the office for me since the weather was bad and they couldn't get out.
Sweet.
That night we went out to the BEST VIETNAMESE RESTAURANT IN CHARLOTTE, Lang Van's (blatant promoting), and we drove thru downtown for a quick tour and then home for ice cream. Friday morning they split for MO.
Friday night I ran speaker wire and some other stuff then fixed leftover broiled salmon with corn and Saturday I spent most of the day setting up the office a bit more - redoing my PC and setting up Stacey's new one. Still need a desk.. Hmm...
Today is SUNDAY - which means sleeping in then Stacey gets a paper while I fix brunch.
Stacey is out running work related errands at the moment but she will be in to post her side of the last several weeks and to point out all the things I've forgotten, I'm sure.

Thanks again to everyone for everything. Our parents were embarrassingly generous with gifts and labor and our friends didn't even blink at the thought of giving us a hand. We are in your debt.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some lowes.com window shopping to do...

Justin

Office at the moment. My stuff is on the floor so Stace can work at the desk. Notice the lovely ceiling fan Ed installed for us.


original living room, still with carpet...


Living room currently, minus carpet, minus kitchen door, add pug


Dad working on his birthday


Rear holly tree with new do... You can see the security lights there on the edge of the house.


Stacey wanted me to post one of her actually working...


Bathroom with temp shelving, new shower head and curtain


Breaking in the couch in the new place...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home